< Transmutations -> Tortured Heart
Slice 1 - Image 1 Slice 1 - Image 2 Slice 1 - Image 3 Slice 1 - Image 4
Slice 2 - Image 1 Slice 2 - Image 2 Slice 2 - Image 3 Slice 2 - Image 4
Slice 3 - Image 1 Slice 3 - Image 2 Slice 3 - Image 3 Slice 3 - Image 4
Slice 4 - Image 1 Slice 4 - Image 2 Slice 4 - Image 3 Slice 4 - Image 4

TRANSMUTATIONS APRIL 2015. X-MEN RPG. APOCALYPSE.

SITE NEWS 11/08 - ACTIVITY CHECK IS CLOSED, THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE WILL BE COMING TO AN END

STAFF TEARS, PANIC & FERGIE

PLOT MOVEMENT APOCALYPSE PREPARES FOR PHASE THREE

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Tortured Heart, Lizzy/Lil
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Mar 14 2015, 08:14 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

Ororo walked calmly through the school, pausing to look inside each room as she did so. She had begun at the most obvious location, the young woman's room but that had turned up empty so she moved on from there. All of the common areas turned up vacant as well. There were others milling around, some conversing, some enjoying a moment of solitude but none of them were the lavender tressed Brit she was searching for.

Storm smiled pleasantly at each person she encountered, engaged in what she had come to know as "small talk" and inquired if they knew the location of the one she sought. The woman was on a mission but it was unlike other missions. This one was much more personal and just as important, in her opinion. She had observed Elizabeth's behavior for a while now, watching as tragedy gripped her soul and left her angry and confused. In many ways, rightly so but 'Ro would be remiss if she did not at least attempt to help the troubled teenager out. She was drawn to the girl and cared about her, just as she did the rest of her newly formed American based family.

The floors above ground proved fruitless so she moved below to continue her search. Her long, cotton pale blue skirt swayed with each step, the hem teasing her ankles as she moved. She had finally put on a pair of shoes as she headed toward the basement. There were rooms within the confines down here and in the levels below this one that required things to remain sanitary and while Ororo did not believe she would be in those rooms, she still followed what seemed to be a logical protocol. While it may not exactly be sandal season just yet, it was the most she could bring herself to don while within the school's building, so they clicked softly against the floor as she walked.

Her search took her down to the lowest level of the building and she was beginning to think perhaps her quarry had taken herself off campus for the remainder of the day. She found the basements to be her least favorite of places within this school but at least they were well lit and large, which was a bit soothing to her claustrophobic tendencies. There was one room, however, that was a bit easier to tolerate and that was only because it emptied into open skies, the place she felt the most at peace.

Turning into the hanger, she finally spotted what she had been searching for. Lavender hair. Honestly, Ororo chided herself, she should have begun her search here. Lizzy's love for all things aircraft was not a secret and it was likely the troubled teen found comfort around such machinery. Knowing her approach was not silent and that it was fairly difficult to sneak up on a telepath, Ororo greeted her with a warm smile and gentle words. "The first time I remember being on a jet was the day Professor Xavier brought me here. It is a beautiful aircraft but I freely admit I would rather be flying under my own power," she said to the young woman whose side she stopped at, looking at the Blackbird. Indeed, it had been a blessing that the man had his own jet because she didn't think she would have been able to tolerate a cramped commercial flight. The only other time she had ever been in a plane had been as an infant when her family moved them from Manhattan to Cairo, Egypt.

Tilting her head slightly as her blue eyes sought out the girl's, she added, "I have been searching for you, Lizzy."
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: Mar 19 2015, 02:56 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

The hangar was usually one of the quietest spots in the school. It wasn’t somewhere you wound up on a whim; it was too specific and too out of the way, so it wasn’t like taking a turn left and finding yourself in the library. That was one of the reasons she liked it. By now, given the fact there was no secret over her flying lessons or general interest in the area, people probably figured out she lurked down here, but mostly, they left her to it… Mostly.

When Ororo came in, she had a couple of her books at one side as she half attempted to do some research. In her hands, Liz held her phone and was slowly scrolling through her photographs. Her birthday had just passed, the first birthday she’d ever spent away from her twin as well as since their parents had died. Jamie had flown over though, despite the fact he could only spare two days with the mess the family business and indeed the rest of London was in following its attack. They had spent it in the city, but it had been painful and even awkward despite the fact they had always been close. But he’d returned home now and part of her wished that she had gone with him.

“Um, hello,” the telepath greeted as she looked up, pushing stray locks of purple hair behind her ears. “I didn’t miss a training session or something did I?” somehow Elizabeth doubted this, as if she had then either Xavier would have sent her a telepathic reminder, or Lehnsherr would have come and dragged her by a foot (not that dragging was necessary but the point stood).

Looking at her phone once more, at the frozen image captured on her screen, Liz tapped it into sleep mode and pocketed it and moved her books, shuffling on her bench. “So, did you need me for something?” Giving Ororo her best attempt at a smile, she sat up a little straighter.
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Mar 20 2015, 08:18 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

Elizabeth appeared even sadder now than she had earlier and that worried the weather wielding mutant. She had hoped that the time spent with her older brother would have helped to heal the younger woman a bit but perhaps it was still too soon. Ororo remembered the early days when her parents had died. She'd been significantly younger but that didn't change the pain of losing someone you dearly loved. It was something the two of them had in common. Both parents were taken away at the same time, leaving a gaping wound in the heart that only several years passing could help to temper. Lizzy had not had several years. Not even close.

"No, no, you have not missed training," she reassured gently as she watched the lilac haired girl pocket her cell phone and shuffle books about.

Although she had been aware of modern technology like smart phones while living in Kenya, Ororo had not needed such devices until arriving in the United States. She still marveled at what such small machines could accomplish and while she rarely used her own newly acquired cell phone for much more than actual phone calls when away from the school, they still fascinated her. How different her life probably would have been if her parents had not moved them to Cairo so many years ago. She wouldn't wish her life differently, other than them not dying, but it was interesting to think about nonetheless.

"I do need you for something," she replied to Lizzy, gazing down at her in fondness. "Although it isn't for anything tangible. I am merely concerned about you and want to see how you are holding up under such extreme circumstances. Perhaps I am overstepping my bounds but all of you are my family now, much like the villagers back in Kenya. I want to be there to help, to support, in your time of need and you, dear Lizzy, are facing a very trying time indeed."

Ororo hoped the girl would allow her in, so to speak, but she also knew there was a toughness to Ms. Braddock, a shell that was likely meant to protect but often could lead to loneliness. In a way, it was similar to the shell that 'Ro placed around herself to keep her emotions, and therefore her powers, in check.

Nodding toward the now empty spot on the bench, she added, "Will you allow me to sit down?"

She didn't comment on the significance of the question. Lizzy was a bright girl, she would figure it out. Allowing Storm to sit down would indicate that Liz was willing to talk, or at least to listen, as the white haired woman spoke.
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: Mar 24 2015, 05:36 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

Part of her, quite a large part actually, had rather wanted to be left alone, hence the hangar in the first place. It was a good spot, and the quiet atmosphere was calming. Her temper was a little better than it had been at first, but Elizabeth still felt dangerously close to losing her cool at some moments, but it was getting better. Questions and what ifs still rolled around her head, but for the moment, the telepath was at least done with punching doors and windows, a marked improvement, or a start at least.

Listening, for a brief moment, she felt a little uncomfortable. Oh, she was a loud person and she loved her family and she hadn’t hid that. But the whole feelings and emotions thing, actually with them? Being British, it was odd territory. With Brian it had been different, as they were twins and they’d been an extension of the other. Her parents? It was a lot to think about, even though that hadn’t been Ororo’s intention when she had mentioned family.

“Of course,” nodding as the weather witch asked if she could sit, Liz made sure her books were fully out of the way. For a moment, the telepath stared at them. Mostly, she was being polite in allowing Ororo to sit, because it was how she had been brought up. But for all of her that wanted to be left alone that day, there was still a part of her that was lonely, and more than that, sad. With Jamie back to England now, she was feeling the distance between the school and home, even if the school now was apparently family and home.

“So, um,” Lizzie started, but badly, wincing. It was far from her normal self to be so squirrelly, but talking with someone who was a position of authority about her feelings was a little out of her comfort zone, and Ororo wasn’t even that much older than her. Talking a little to Xavier wasn’t so bad, but that was easier because of the telepathy. Erik again wasn’t too bad to talk to, as a glug of medicinal brandy was usually allowed. But drinking with Ororo felt kind of weird, even a shot in a cup of tea. “Look...I appreciate you coming down here, but I’m not always good at this sort of thing I’m afraid. I’m starting to run out of things to say as well,” it was possibly the most honest thing she’d said about how she felt in weeks, but she stayed put, not meaning to push the other woman away with her words, but unable to say anything better.

“I appreciate it though. I guess I’m already used to this sort of environment as we boarded at school since a young age so we had school family and home family and…” now home family was all but gone. “It doesn’t make it any easier though. Not always.”
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Mar 26 2015, 10:42 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

Ororo sat down once given permission, crossing her legs at the knees and smoothing her long skirt around her. She was acutely aware that Elizabeth wasn't too keen on the idea of opening up to her but she had suspected that would be the case before even seeking her out. Discussing one tragedy in life was difficult enough. It was compounded when a part of you went missing. She did not have any siblings, let alone a twin, but she had heard enough from those who were twins to know that they were connected to each other in ways other people could not comprehend. Twins were not uncommon among Africans and she had known several sets in her decade long stay there.

Patiently, her blue eyes watched as Lizzy struggled with words, practically squirming in her seat. Ororo did not see herself an authority figure within their small community there at the university. She did not feel very "instructor-like" and honestly could do without any sort of title. The titles she was more accustomed to were not appropriate for this setting, though. It would have been much too strange to have the students and fellow staff members address her as "Goddess" or "Princess". The former was what the villagers referred to her as. The latter, what her mother's people called her. In this land, she was much more comfortable with simply "Ororo" or "Storm".

She turned her gaze away from the violet tressed beauty and allowed her eyes to linger on the jet. "There really is nothing physical that will make any of this better. We can attempt to stifle our feelings though overindulgence in chemicals. We can attempt to lock the pain away, pretending to the world that it isn't there. We can even try to work the pain away, believing if we exhaust ourself enough, we won't be able to feel. Yet it lingers and is there the next morning along with the residual effects of our efforts," she said softly.

Perhaps the best part about losing her own parents at a young age was not understanding how to hide away in the things she had just mentioned. She had been much too young, too naïve, to fully comprehend what had happened. She knew her mother and father would not be coming to find her, understood that she was now all alone but she cried, she screamed and she had lashed out the way a child would. Elizabeth was hiding, doing what most everyone would do in her situation. Ororo did not want to hurt her, not in the least, but she wanted her to understand that there were other options.

Looking back at her "student", Ororo gave her a gentle smile. "Perhaps you are stronger than I was but I remember feeling like the entire world had just shattered and there was no one around to help me pick up the pieces. I do not remember when the pain ceased to be sharp and instead turned dull. I do not even really remember the date of their deaths but I remember the season, the month, and even now, nearly twenty years later, it still makes me catch my breath," she shared, her words soft and unhurried, as if she were remembering in vivid detail.

"I can not offer you relief from the reality of what happened with your parents and Brian. I do, however, want to extend an offer of friendship and for you to know that I will be happy to listen when you are ready. Whether it be to cry, scream, curse or talk, please know that my door, and my heart, will always be open for you."
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: Apr 2 2015, 05:17 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

As a child, Elizabeth had never been awkward. She had been inquisitive, lively, loud and outgoing. Whatever new challenge that had come along, she had faced boldly...with her twin behind her. Brian had always been her real confidence. Without him it felt as if she had lost a limb and couldn’t work out how to use her other one. It was one of the reasons she went through bouts of staying out of the way. She didn’t know how not to be confident.

Ororo spoke sense though and she nodded slowly. Admittedly, Liz had gotten incredibly drunk more than once since her brother was taken away and again since her parents had been lost. Did she itch and ache for a drink now? No, thankfully, but she knew it could end up a slippery slope. The thought of that scared her enough to keep her away from the edge. Just sometimes she needed things to go fuzzy and unimportant and drink did that.

“Oh...I didn’t…” when the woman spoke about losing her parents, Lizzie felt a little awkward. Grief could make it easy to forget the suffering of others and it helped put everything into context for a moment.

“Thank you. I know I can talk to people here, but if I’m honest it’s kind of hard. It’s hard to open up and tell people everything I’m feeling. I know that must sound silly; I’m a telepath, I should be able to understand human emotions....Just I suck when it comes to saying how I feel. Naturally, I recognise when someone is upset and I know when I am upset but….when you can read thoughts and feelings, it almost makes it a job. Does that make sense?” sighing, she ran a hand through her unruly purple hair. “See? I’m at it now,” idly, she wondered if there was some sort of autism scale for telepathy.

“Alright…” she settled on the easiest place to start. “I’ve always made a big deal about how I’ve grown up looking after my twin, how much he needs me and he’d wither away without me to look out for him...but the real truth is I’m the one who always needed him. I wanted to look out for him and defend him when we were little kids and make sure he got involved in things, as it made me feel so important and good to be doing it. I did it because I loved him, but I did it so I’d have something I was needed for. Now he’s not here and I don’t know how to function.” Liz wasn’t quite yet ready to move on to her parents, but it was a start at least.
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Apr 4 2015, 04:51 PM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

While Ororo spoke about her own deceased parents, the gripping grief that used to accompany the memories was not present. It had not been for some time now, the passage of years making that loss more bearable. It was never her intention to make Elizabeth uncomfortable, merely to let the girl know that as someone who has been in her position before, it would get better. Perhaps not any time soon but that it would happen eventually. The addition of a missing brother would not help the healing process one bit, though.

She honestly did not know how it felt to be a telepath but ever since coming to this school, she had been around them daily. The innate way that they had of just knowing what you were thinking or feeling was unnerving but it was becoming almost commonplace after all these months. However, that did not mean she understood how it felt to be inundated with thoughts and emotions all day long. She was a woman who withheld her own emotions without dwelling too much on them, restricting herself to surface emotions in order to keep her own mutant powers in check.

Ororo did not reply. At this point, there was not much to say. Lizzy had to work through the process of what she felt, herself. Storm did not want to run the risk of possibly projected how she thought the teenager should handle the situation and therefore, skewing what the violet haired girl really was feeling.

The subject landed on her twin, Brian. Ororo smiled gently at Elizabeth as she began to speak and wondered for a moment what it would have been like to have had a sibling to look after, to get into trouble with, even to tattle on. Their relationship sounded incredibly normal as far as the weather witch was concerned. She had witnessed many such family dynamics and there was always a sort of give and take to each relationship. It was never something that was discussed or thought out beforehand but it always worked out that way on its own. Nature was rather uncanny in that regard.

"I would venture to suggest that the relationship you have with Brian is not nearly as one sided as you are alluding to, Lizzy. I have watched the both of you since your arrival here and I would say that he relies as much on you as you do on him. To be honest, I am almost counting on it. When we find him, he is going to need you so much more than ever before," she replied to Elizabeth, believing every word she spoke. It was impossible to know what sort of condition they would find Brian in but given how Katherine, Rachel and Cecilia were upon their return to the school, she had no doubt he would need Lizzy more than the girl likely even comprehended. She was going to play a very important role in all of it.

She decided to address what Lizzy had said about feeling lost without her twin. "If the roles were reversed and you were the one missing and Brian was sitting right here in your spot, what would you tell him to do? How would you want him spending his time while we combed the globe for any trace of you?" she asked the teenager, hoping to make her think.
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: Apr 11 2015, 05:42 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

“No, I know,” biting down on her lip, she shrugged a little. “I know he needs me, he always did. But I need him too and I never was really honest about that all the time and now he’s not here, I really feel it. We’d never really been separated before, the longest was the time between me starting here and him coming over later. That wasn’t the same though, of course…” she messed with her hair again, glad of someone to talk to who seemed more interested in listening than trying to tell her how to feel, but the telling was the weird part. For a telepath, talking about how you thought was almost like trying to converse in Latin to someone who spoke Ancient Greek. You knew what you knew and they knew their thing, but meeting in the middle was a weird clash.

It was a good question though. What would Brian be doing? “I’d tell him not to break things, for a start. Though that is rather hypocritical,” lifting up her hand that bore a light scar from where she had put it through a glass pane on hearing about London, she smiled. She had also broken Cerebro, but technically that wasn’t really her fault, more of enabling. If Elizabeth knew her brother though, she was certain in a chill of the spine sort of way that he’d deal with it just as badly as she had.

“Well, what can we do but what we are already? Training and planning and turning in assignments? Other than all of that and trying to live the semblance of a life, I’m not sure what else I can do. Is there anything else?” she asked, her blue eyes sad. Since that day in winter, Elizabeth had done what she could, albeit angrily often, but she had tried to live as well, if only to distract herself for a few hours from what was happening. It was that or go mad after all.

One thing troubled her though. As much as it had been a huge weight to get Kitty, Rachel and Cece back, her roommate’s reaction had been disconcerting as it was understandable given the mental trauma she had suffered. What if Brian acted in the same way? And what if she had to do to him what she had done to Rachel? Subduing a friend and classmate was one thing, but your own sibling, the person you had been together with since before birth?

Liz had tried to get through to him that day in the field, but she’d failed. Or so she saw it. “What if I need to stop him though?” she wasn’t sure how much more family she could lose when she had barely any left to begin with.
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Apr 13 2015, 11:09 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

She smiled at Elizabeth. It wasn't a big, bright smile but more a subdued one given their more somber conversation and it was one filled with compassion toward her fellow mutant. "Then when we bring him back here, and we will bring Brian back, you will have the opportunity to let your twin know exactly how much you missed and need him. He will likely need that reassurance, do you not agree?" she asked in a rhetorical manner. Ororo was not going to sugarcoat what they were likely to find when they did discover Brian's whereabouts. Three students into this ordeal had taught them all what was probably going to happen and Brian wouldn't be any less difficult to deprogram than the others had been. The fact that Lizzy already had a run in with Brian and knew what they were dealing with would have made any claim to the contrary a lie.

Upon the revelation as to what the purple haired telepath would tell her brother if their roles were reversed, Ororo's smile grew a bit wider and more amused. Lizzy's temper was almost infamous by this point, as well her more...destructive tendencies when she was upset about something. Not that 'Ro was going to be admitting this to anyone but she did feel given Elizabeth's mental capabilities, they were probably better off with the girl's more physical type of aggression release than the other options.

"You are correct," she admitted to Elizabeth, her expression growing sober once more. "Professors Xavier and Lehnsherr are working tirelessly to find your brother, analyzing and reanalyzing data, searching for any lead. You need to continue living, just as you have been and believing that we will find him. Cynics may scoff but I have witnessed time and time again where someone is made strong through hope. Cling to that hope, even when it seems against all odds. To give up is easy, to hope is not and therefore, worth fighting for."

It was a philosophy that had seen her through many situations in her own life. So many times she had been faced with a hopeless situation but she had persevered and come out stronger for it. Elizabeth wasn't any different, even if her situation wasn't anything Ororo had ever dealt with. They all had to remain strong for each other, even when they felt weaker than they had ever felt before.

Elizabeth's real fear was revealed in that moment, the real terror that likely kept her thinking at night long after she should have been asleep. It was a very legitimate one as well. What she had done before was practically inconceivable to those who were unused to mental abilities. To know you might have to turn that on your own flesh and blood was daunting. For the first time since she had entered the hanger, Ororo reached out and touched Elizabeth. She gently took one of her hands and squeezed it lightly, hopefully in a reassuring manner.

Her blue eyes looked into ones that were troubled, sad, scared and uncertain. "You will not be alone, Elizabeth. Never will you be alone. Even if it turns into a psychic battle, as it did with Rachel, you will have others with you. You may be the one who gets through to Brian but you will do it with us at your side. I promise to be there with you if I am at all physically able," she replied, hoping that the young telepath would sense the sincerity in her words. It would take an act of God to prevent Ororo from helping Lizzy in any manner she could.
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: Apr 24 2015, 02:46 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

Gently, Ororo reminded her that they’d bring Brian back, no matter what, and then when he was home that he’d need her. The thought was almost as scary as it was reassuring. Could she really help fix him? What if he came back and was like Cecilia, descending into rage when she said something triggering? How could she help at all in that case… It scared her to think of, scared her even more to ask in case people thought that she was being unsympathetic. Liz hated feeling so useless. She should have been able to do more so far, but it just hadn’t worked out that way.

“I know,” Elizabeth nodded as she was told to live. That kind of thing was always easier said than done, even if the sentiment was kind and well placed. “I don’t want to give up, I promise I don’t,” she nodded her purple head. It was hard, terrifying almost, but she didn’t want to just give up, even if the whole situation was way over anything that she had signed up for, back when she had arrived at the school. Back then, Brian hadn’t even been with her. It was simple in comparison, really. Now? Now it was hard just to tread water and stay afloat. Just when it felt like she was getting steady, something else ended up happening.

Holding her breath, she slid her blue eyes to Ororo as she promised her that she wasn’t going to be alone. It was a real fear and one that she wished was stilled with the older woman’s words, but it wasn’t entirely extinguished. Liz wanted to be able to say that it reassured her, but if anything it worried her. The psychic battle with Rachel had been beyond anything that she had so far experienced, and the thought of doing that again, with her brother, was hard to swallow, especially knowing that others were with her in the danger of the field. What if something happened to them while they were trying to protect her. It would be her fault. She wasn’t sure that that was something she could live with.

She wanted to change the conversation, talk about something else to ease her mind, but she was drawing a blank. Being normal was way harder than people would have you believe. To give herself something to do, Elizabeth fiddled about with her bag, arranging her books within, finding a chocolate bar on the way. Pulling it out, she offered it across. “Do you want some? It’s just cadburys. It doesn’t taste the same over here,” she smiled, a little nervously.
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: Apr 27 2015, 10:21 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

"Good," she replied as Elizabeth informed her that she didn't want to give up.

There was only so much that could be said so while Lizzy rifled through her bag, Ororo's thoughts turned internal. She wasn't even going to pretend that she understood what the violet haired younger woman was going through. To even say such a thing would make her a liar and 'Ro liked to believe that she was as honest as a human being could be.

Her life had changed so much in the months since she had been not only at the school but in the United States as well. The fact that she'd been born here, not too far from this very location, wasn't lost on her. She had thought to travel to Manhattan and obtain a copy of her birth certificate but had yet to actually do it. Storm wasn't sure what was holding her back but every time the opportunity arose, she would find another reason to not do it. There was nothing to be afraid, really. Perhaps she was just too used to being the African goddess that she was afraid to admit she was as human as the rest of them. Definitely something to contemplate later, when she was alone.

As the chocolate bar was offered to her, Ororo accepted not only the candy but the change of subject. She had said what she'd come to say and there was no reason to further dwell on the difficult topics. Tearing off a bit of the corner, she handed the rest of the bar back to the girl and popped the chocolate into her mouth.

As the deliciousness melted, she smiled, one that was content and definitely enjoying the flavor exploding in her mouth. Swallowing the bite, she looked at Lizzy and admitted, "One of the things I enjoyed most about having foreigners visit our villages in Africa was the gifts, especially when they brought chocolate. It is not an every day item there, which made it that much more delicious when it was offered. Thank you for the gift." Although major chocolate companies were set up in the cities, her villages had been small and isolated, to a degree, and did not see quite the western spread that Nairobi and Mombasa had. Things like chocolate bars were still a luxury.

A good deal of every day items here at the school would have been considered luxury to her people in Africa and the longer Ororo was here, the more accustomed to them she became. It saddened her in a way but she knew that the two lifestyles were simply just too different to ever meet easily. Her people knew what they knew and they accepted life as it came to them. It was difficult to miss what you were not used to.
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: May 7 2015, 10:44 AM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

“It’s alright,” Liz felt a little embarrassed by the thanks for the chocolate. “People sometimes think that just because family is...was....is...rich, that I’m spoiled and had whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. But my parents taught us to work for things, that we didn’t just get them. Aside from books though. We could have as many books as we could read. But a pair of jeans, or new boots or something that wasn’t for school? I’d have to clean out the stable yard first, or fetch and carry things around my father’s office all day. I’m not great at being domestic...like cooking or washing clothes...but I learned plenty of other practical skills instead.”

Breaking off some chocolate for herself, Elizabeth ate it quietly. It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, but the hangar felt very, very far away from everything else. Down there it was easy to just pretend and hide away from what was going on, even if it was impossible to forget everything completely. Down there though, she didn’t have to be reminded of all the things she needed to do, or that were expected of her. No one bothered her. She could just be away.

“So…” Liz trailed off, not sure what else to say but feeling rude to remain silent much more than she already had. “Do you miss Kenya?” she wasn’t about to be patronising and ask ‘how different is it??’ or anything silly of that sort, because so far she had found it different even from her own home. That much she could understand, for certain.
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: May 11 2015, 08:04 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

Ororo listened quietly as Lizzy opened up about her parents, giving her just a bit of information. While she'd never actually considered the Braddock twins "spoiled", they'd definitely had advantages that other children simply did not have. It was merely a fact and it appeared, at least to her, that Liz's parents had prepared their children for a world in which they might not be around to help them traverse. Storm was grateful to the Braddocks for that.

"Your parents sound amazing. You are very fortunate," she replied to the purple haired teen. Yes, she had referred to them in the present tense and not the past and she had done it for a reason. They may physically be gone but they would forever be alive in the heart and memories of their children. It was important for Elizabeth to realize that they were still there, just on another level but she would not be pushing that lesson today.

The two lapsed once more into silence and while it was a fairly comfortable one, she was contemplating leaving the teenager alone with her thoughts once more. Then Lizzy asked about Kenya and Ororo could not help the smile that came to her lips at the thought. Oh, she missed Kenya all right. It would have been impossible to not miss the country she'd lived in for so long.

"Absolutely," she admitted to the lilac tressed Liz. "It was my home for the past ten years or so but more than the place, I miss the people. They are my mother's people and they welcomed me as if I were a long, lost daughter. It was in Kenya that I learned how to use my weather abilities. Helping the crops to grow and prosper, redirecting storms and providing an amiable climate was more or less hands on training."

Yes, she missed the latest place that she had called home but for all intents and purposes, Ororo really was a nomad. She had been born in the United States, moved to Cairo as a baby and lived there for the first ten years of her life. The last ten had been spent in Kenya and now she was back in the United States, close to where her life had begun and she'd come full circle. She often wondered what the goddess had in store for her but like them all, she had to be patient and see what the plans might be.

"The villagers love celebrating life to a degree that I fail to find here," she continued, her smile serene as she remembered. "We had celebrations for nearly everything imaginable and it helped to give everyone something to look forward to after another day of tending to crops or their homes. It is a simple but very fulfilling lifestyle yet it would be very out of place here."
PMAIM
^
Elizabeth Braddock
 Posted: May 24 2015, 05:17 PM
Elizabeth Braddock
is Offline
N/A
282 posts
X-Men
X-men

“They were…” a but normally hung there, that right now stung too much to give voice to. Her parents had been good people and in their own way had loved their children very much…but they had been scientists through and through and not naturally adept at showing affection. If it hadn’t been for Jamie, Elizabeth would have felt utterly alone in the family, for such things had not come naturally to her as they had to Brian. Although she may have felt like it when they were kids, the telepath knew he hadn’t been loved more, just maybe… understood more. Now it was too late for so much to be said. Still, “We were lucky.”

“What made you come here then?” she hoped the question wasn’t nosey, as she didn’t get the impression that Storm didn’t want to be at the school, but if she had been so needed back home then Liz was curious about the change. It didn’t sound like she had needed training like most of them. Although whatever the reason was, it didn’t seem as if the white haired woman had any regrets about it.

She smiled a little as Ororo went on to add about how life had been celebrated back home. Elizabeth was used to celebrating birthdays, Christmas, New Year…Sometimes in real style. Other times when she had been at school, a ‘celebration’ had meant the head of house getting a cake and some crisps in, which given their usually strict monitoring, was pretty outlandish. No doubt she meant more than that. “I don’t know about that. Maybe you could try it on us…Sometime.” Her ‘sometime’ was a vague way of saying ‘after everything’ because right now they couldn’t celebrate as things weren’t over yet. Elizabeth wasn’t celebrating anything until then, even though her birthday would be happening whether she liked it or not, and it had never just been her birthday either.

Her hand slipped into her pocket and she retrieved her phone, falling silent for a second while she checked it and sent a message to Jamie, feeling a little bad for being so shut down. “Excuse me,” she apologised for her action to Ororo as she looked back up. “But really, maybe when people are ready you could show us… I suppose that’s what we’re here for, all that learning from each other stuff…We’ve not really had much to look forward to right now either.”
PM
^
Ororo Munroe
 Posted: May 31 2015, 07:20 AM
Ororo Munroe
is Offline
42 posts
Staff
Staff/X-Men

Ahh, the question of why she chose to leave Kenya and travel halfway around the world to live was a good one, especially since she did do a lot of good for her people there. There had been times, especially in the beginning as she was acclimating to her new life, that Ororo had wondered the same thing. Being cooped up in a building, even one as large as the school, wasn't something she was used to. She much preferred open skies and lots of fresh air and while the cold of winter simply did not bother her, she knew she couldn't keep windows open and freeze the other residents. She still spent a great deal of time outdoors but having to return to a room inside was never a pleasant thought. Thatched roofs could be pulled back to allow for open skies. Brick and mortar, especially with an entire floor yet above, could not but she did not complain and simply allowed it to be.

"I always knew I was destined to leave Kenya. While I aided them with their lives, it did disrupt the natural balance of things. I am from New York City, born in Manhattan in fact and my travels began as an infant so I believe that I am merely creating the circle that is my life. I have lived amongst my mother's people for a time, now it is my father's turn. I left Kenya with their blessing and that was all I truly needed," she told the lilac tressed young woman at her side.

It was a decision she stood behind and would until the day she died. Ororo didn't so much as look back and regret things that had gone wrong in her life as she pondered the experiences she gained from them. Life in Cairo as a child had taught her to not take each day for granted. She had seen much death on the streets and only because she was an oddity even then had she drawn the attention of those she had. Born with white hair and blue eyes was so rare that Ainet told her it only happened once every five generations.

"When Professor Xavier offered me to return here with him, I knew that my opportunity had arrived. While it was an emotionally charged decision, it was the correct one. I miss them, yes, but the time to move on had came and I am enjoying my new life here immensely," Storm added. While she did feel saddened to leave her home, she had done what she usually did with highly emotional situations: she suppressed her emotions for the most part lest they create havoc on the weather. It was one obstacle that she and Ainet had never been able to overcome and she hoped that her work the the Professors here would help her eliminate that weakness.

Elizabeth seemed curious about the celebrations that she described. Not that 'Ro could blame her. They really were something many of the residents here would have never experienced. She wasn't about to add that many times, she herself had been the focus on the celebrations, receiving gifts of praise and thanks and greeting each villager as they were presented to her. She wasn't ashamed of her goddess status in the least, it was simply how life worked there but it was such a foreign concept to the western world that she remained quiet about it.

Nodding, she watched the girl pull her phone out and begin to type on it, turning away respectfully. Her eyes landed on the jet although she really wasn't looking at the large, metallic object. No, her thoughts were on Kenya and the simplicity of her life there. Speaking once more, Lizzy grabbed her attention and Ororo turned to face her.

Lizzy's suggestion brought the return of a smile to her lips and her blue eyes brightened considerably. "I believe that is a fabulous idea, Lizzy. There is no reason that we cannot each share our heritage or culture with the others. We seem to have a vast variety here at the school and I would love to offer all of you a taste of Kenya through the eyes of someone who lived there for a decade. I will bring up your idea to the Professors and get their input," she told the younger woman, truly pleased with this idea.
PMAIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

[b]Toggle Cbox[/b]
skinned by merc @ caution & cfs by black Mini Profile by Darren Criss of Shine
Affiliates
HelloImmortality X-Men/Avengers RoleplayX-Generation:X-Men Roleplay Crusader Citadel
The ArrowBMFemPOWEREDJust Wanna Have Fun Song of the MockingjaySearch & Destroy Songs Remain The SameMWFTFAILURE ROLEPLAYMidas Touch